Citrus and chilli braised short ribs
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
- 2kg beef short rib
- 40g celery, roughly chopped
- 100g onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 11g Ancho chilli, seeds removed and diced
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 5g black peppercorns
- 150g sake
- 45g bergamot juice
- 1g bergamot zest
- 1g chilli powder
- 20g Muscovado sugar
- 150g reserved reduced cooking liquor
- 40g honey
For the short rib
For the glaze
- Trim the excess fat from the short ribs. Sear the short ribs until well-browned, then transfer to a large pot, along with the chopped vegetables, chilli, salt, peppercorns and 2 litres of water. Braise at roughly 70°C until tender – this can take up to 4 hours. Carefully remove the short rib and set aside to rest. Pass the cooking liquor through a sieve and reserve 300g of the liquid. Place this liquid in a pan and reduce by half (150g).
- To make the glaze, use a blow-torch to flame the sake in a pan on the stove top. Add the bergamot juice, zest, chilli powder and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add the 150g reduced cooking liquor and the honey, along with the braised short rib and leave to marinade for 6 hours in the fridge.
- Heat your Charcoal or Gas BBQ, and once ready, remove the ribs from the glaze and place on the grill. Brush the ribs with the glaze and continue to brush until the short ribs are sticky and caramelised and the ribs are warm in the centre – this should take around 20 minutes.