Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
- 25g coriander seeds
- 400g salt
- 400g white caster sugar
- 20g lime zest
- 80g lemon zest
- 500g fresh salmon side, skinned
- 100g hay
- 100g crème fraiche
- 20g yuzu juice
- 10g chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- slices of grilled sourdough, to serve
For the citrus-cured salmon
For the yuzu creme fraiche
- To cure the salmon, crush the coriander seeds using a mortar and pestle and combine with the salt, sugar and zest. Sprinkle a layer of the cure mix onto a tray and place the salmon on top of it. Cover the salmon with the remaining cure mix. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours. Remove the salmon from the tray and wash off any remaining cure very gently with cold water.
- To smoke, wrap the salmon in muslin, tying lightly with twine. Dampen the muslin with cold water. Lay the hay inside a smoking cage and place the wrapped salmon in the middle, covered with additional hay. Close the cage and place over hot coals of the HUB, HUB II or FUSION BBQ to ensure the hay catches alight. Once all the hay has burnt out, remove the smoking cage from the coals and place inside a large container. Cover with cling film and leave to stand for 20 minutes, repeating the entire smoking process for a stronger smoky flavour. Remove the salmon from muslin and slice with a sharp knife. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
- In the meantime, make the yuzu crème fraiche by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
- To finish the rillette, place 100g of sliced smoked salmon into the bottom a ramekin and top with a tablespoon of yuzu crème fraiche. Serve with lightly grilled slices of sourdough bread.